Friday, August 11, 2017

Annual Southwest Colorado Mtn Bike Trip Part 1



No Bad Views - Lizard Head Peak from the Colorado Trail - Photo By John Schilling


In what has turned out to be annual tradition late June became the time for a mtn bike trip to the Mountains.  This years trip is turned out to be longer and more taxing that last year, but also so much fun. 

On the 24 Hr Course


The trip was kicked off by a 24 Hour Race.  24 hrs in the Enchanted Forest by Zia Rides.  Few people know of the gem of an area in New Mexico just south of Gallup. Along I-40 Gallup looks like a classic high desert wasteland and no place you want to ride in late June. However tucked in mountains south 15 miles you get McGaffy and at about 7500feet nice pine forest and great trail system. I rode this area last year after hearing about the 24 hrs and really liked it.  This year I pulled together a team and had a go.

More 24 hr Fun 



Team Desert Riders on the Storm was back.  Same name as for 24 Hrs of Old Pueblo with 50% new team mates.  The 24 EF team consisted of me and some fast Exhale Team racers. Jim Williams, Cris McRea and Kyle Gandy.  Jim was part of my 24HOP team and recruited two fast racers to join us.  Turns out I was going to be “slow man” on the team, but it was not all bad.   We finished up in 2nd place in 4 man open 2nd overall.  23 laps in 24 hrs.

Desert Riders on the Storm teammate Kyle Gandy leading the field at the start.


Kyle Gandy was first man in the rotation and took the lead from the start getting in front in campground road start.   After the first lap he was in 5th or 6th overall and from there we cycled through each shooting for laps under 1 hour. I got close on my first lap at 1:01 and closer on my 2nd at 1:00, but slipped bit at night going out to 1:06, but our team was strong and managed some good consistent lap times throughout the event. We could not catch the fast guys on the Mark Taylor team, but we did consolidate 2nd place and were never passed after that first lap.   Personally only got passed twice in 5 laps by no category competition. Our team was just about the fastest guys out there and the results showed it.  Beyond the position the event was very well run and the course was fun.  95% single track winding through the trees with a 30 min low grade climb and the remainder fast flowing descents.   The event was also run very well and highly recommend this for anyone considering a 24 hr race.


Desert Riders on the Storm Teammate Chris McRea
(L to R) Jim Williams Kyle Gandy, Joe Paluch, Cris McRea,

Team Desert Riders on the Storm: 2nd Place in 4 man open and overall 

Also in attendance was my friend Paul who did his first 24 hr solo.  12 laps and 10th in Solo Division.  Nice work Paul.
Paul Del Orco - Awesome 12 lap solo effort

Paul and Family.  Without a support crew this good it would not have been possible



 After an event like this most people go home, but for me it was just the start of the trip.  Sunday afternoon I packed up and headed north to Durango.    I arrived a Junction Creek Campground just outside Durango and prepared for the rest of my trip.

Arrived at Camp in Junction Creek

Nice relatively secluded spot



Monday was to be a casual day since I did not get a lot of sleep at the 24. After a late start I headed over to Horse Gulch and as soon as went to get my bike off the rack and noticed a flat rear tire.  I tried to pump it up, but it would not hold air.  So rather than deal with this at the trailhead I drove back to camp and swapped for my spare bike.  I had been on my Santa Cruz Highball, but swapped to my Santa Cruz Solo.  Turns out the trail leading out from the lot was steep (6.9% grade) and that was just the jeep road.  The Horse Gulch area is fun laced with steep climbs and tight turns.  Fun area, but at least at the start my lighter HT would have been better.   It was also quite warm and humid so I was sweating a ton.  

I headed up secret trail and this started out as an overgrown HAB.  Steep narrow and lots of overgrowth. The reward?  Steep tight downhill.  Fun, but I am not sure it was worth the effort. 
The trail is so secret nobody rides it.

Now this is more like it





  Then on to telegraph climb. Steep and rideable, but lots of work.  I crested the saddle and kept on going under stormy skies.  Then they opened up.   The rain came in hard and I figure best to wait it out under a tree.  

Waiting out a cloud burst under a tree - How bad could it be?


Once the rain stopped I figured I could ride on, but it was not to be.  Death mud caught me and locked up my bike.  I spend the next 2 hrs pushing the bike 20 yards and wiping mud off. It was bad, but soon it got out of the “wet” area and back into the dry and I was able to ride back to the lot taking Anasazi trail descent which turned out to be and rather rocky descent.   The 5” FS and dropper post was well appreciated.   Only 13 miles and 2300 feet of climbing.
Rain stopped, Sun is out, bike is locked solid after 50 yards.  Not good.

Yeah Not good at all.

Even Walking was bad.


Monday evening I addressed my tire issues on the Highball and dragged it out for my “big ride” of the trip. 
There could be worse places to do bike maintenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment